Yosemite Hantavirus

ErickPauley's picture
Yosemite Hantavirus

A rare disease spread by rodents is suspected to have caused the death of a visitor to Yosemite National Park. State health officials believe the man was exposed to mice droppings or urine that contained hantavirus while vacationing at Curry Village. Since 1993, there have been 60 cases of hantavirus in California with one third of the cases resulting in death. Park officials say they're taking extra steps to reduce the risk of hantavirus exposure.